The library system will partner with the Lake County Animal Shelter to bring both pet and book lovers together. Throughout June and July, the shelter’s pet adoption trailer will visit each of the 16 Lake County libraries, giving library patrons and animal lovers the opportunity to fall in love with adoptable dogs and cats while encouraging them to get to know their local library and check out materials like books, DVDs and other items.
Adoptions are open to all, though prospective pet adoptees must be 18 years or older. Dog and cat adoption fees will be waived for those who adopt while visiting the trailer at the libraries, and all adoptions include sterilization, initial vaccinations, microchip and personalized ID tag. For a full schedule of dates and times for this event, please contact your local library. Only a small selection of adoptable pets will be available from the trailer at the events. To view all adoptable pets, schedule an appointment at the shelter or visit http://bit.ly/LCAS-AdoptablePets.
“Our libraries serve as the hubs of the community,” said George Taylor, director of the Lake County Library System. “Using our outdoor space to host pet adoptions while encouraging visitors to stop inside and check out our resources is just one of the many ways we work to serve the public.”
“We love partnerships, and we are always looking for new ways to encourage pet adoption,” said Whitney Boylston, director of the Lake County Animal Shelter. “When people adopt, they are saving a loving animal and making them part of their family. We encourage everyone to visit us at the library!”
*** UPDATED SCHEDULE *** The pet adoption trailer will be on site from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the days and locations listed below:
- June 5: Marion Baysinger Memorial County Library
- June 9: Lady Lake Public Library
- June 12: W.T. Bland Public Library
- June 16: Fruitland Park Library
- June 19: Leesburg Public Library
- June 23: Helen Lehmann Memorial Library
- June 30: Minneola Schoolhouse Library
- July 7: Astor County Library
- July 10: Paisley County Library
- July 14: Cooper Memorial Library
- July 17: Cagan Crossings Community Library
- July 21: Umatilla Public Library
- July 24: East Lake County Library
- July 28: Marianne Beck Memorial Library
- July 31: Tavares Public Library
For more information on Lake County Animal Services, visit https://www.lakecountyfl.gov/offices/animal_services or follow its Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/LakeCountyAnimalShelter.
Connect with Nature and a Good Book
Lake County libraries will also partner with the Office of Parks and Trails to offer a unique reading program for children in first through sixth grades. Staff at several parks throughout Lake County will read a book from the Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Journal List, and books will be passed out at each event.
The program will take place at the following parks:
- June 30: At Paisley Park, reading “Dinosaurs” by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld (Grades 1 and 2), from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- July 14: At Astor Park, reading “The Tale of Despereaux” by Kate DiCamillo (Grades 3 and 4), from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- July 28: At Ferndale Preserve, reading “The Storm Runner” by J.C. Cervantes (Grades 5 and 6), from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
The program is free, and one book will be provided for up to 10 families at each event for participants to take home with them following the program. Books are donated by the Friends of the Paisley Library, the Friends of the Astor Library, and the Friends of the Cooper Memorial Library. Stay tuned to the Lake County Library System Facebook page at www.facebook.com/LakeCountyFLLibrary to sign up for each event. For more information, contact the Office of Parks and Trails at 352-253-4950 or via email at email@example.com.
For more information about the Lake County Library System or to find out about future programs and resources, call or visit your local library, or go to http://mylakelibrary.org. You can also follow the Lake County Library System on social at www.facebook.com/LakeCountyFLLibrary or https://twitter.com/lakelibrary.