Although the Marion Baysinger Memorial Library will be celebrating its 10-year anniversary in November, the Groveland community has actually had library service since the early 1900's when the city offered a small collection of 300 volumes at the old City Hall. The Groveland Women's Club made the library its first priority in 1928, taking charge of the collection and providing volunteers to keep the library open a few hours per week.
In 1963, the library was moved to the old Post Office on Broad Street and shared space with the Groveland Chamber of Commerce. In 1966, the library was moved again to the E.L. Puryear Community Center where it remained until 2002. In 1991, the library was renamed the Marion Baysinger Memorial Library in honor of Mrs. Baysinger's years of dedicated service. During this time, the library continued to be manned by volunteers and was only open four hours per week.
The city of Groveland approached the County Commissioners in 1999 about joining the Lake County Library System. After months of negotiations, the library became a branch library in 2000 but remained at the E.L. Puryear Community Center until a permanent facility could be located and then renovated as a library. On November 1, 2002, the library was open to the public at 756 West Broad Street. It is this milestone that the library staff, the Friends of the Library, city and county officials, and the community will be celebrating. Plans are underway for a "re-dedication" in the afternoon, followed by family activities throughout the remainder of the day.