Construction Update: Please understand that construction schedules tend to be “fluid” or in other words they change constantly. We know people are getting impatient but the contractor tells us that the end is in sight. We are now looking at the end of July of 2012 for completion. At some point in the summer, our library will have to be closed to patrons due to the work that must be done inside the library. This will be last part of the project. As soon as we have the date from the contractor, we will alert our patrons.
Youth Summer Reading Program: Due to the timing of the closure of the Library for the last phase of the construction project (middle of June – July), we will have an abbreviated version of our summer reading program – our Special Thursday Performerances will be the Mount Dora Community Building (520 N. Baker St.) at 2:00pm:
• 6/21/12 - Tampa Taiko - Tampa Taiko is a professional drumming duo that has performed their unique style for a vast array of audiences, performing at festivals, concert halls, schools, workshops, summer camps, corporate and VIP events. Using a collection of taiko drums made by themselves from discarded wine barrels, Tampa Taiko has developed a dynamic fusion of old and new styles of drumming, bringing a contemporary vibrance to an ancient martial art form. www.TampaTaiko.com
• 6/28/12 - John Storms - Lizards, skinks and snakes, oh my! John Storms is the reptile man and the world of slithering, cold-blooded and scaly creatures is his stage. (Great show! No website)
• 7/5/12 - Karen Climer’s Crazy Balloon Show- The 2012 National Summer Reading Program is “Dream Big – Read.” Karen inspires kids to dream big with this fun-filled, 45-minute stage show! Storytelling, magic, comedy, and the biggest, most amazing balloon sculptures you’ve ever seen! With her infectious enthusiasm, Karen creates energetic shows that encourage laughter, audience participation, and big dreams. For the mind-blowing finale, Karen climbs into the biggest balloon you’ve ever seen. You’ve got to see this to believe it! www.karenclimer.com
• 7/12/12 - Jiggleman - Jiggleman will amaze the audience with his wacky acrobatics & stunts with giant bouncing balls. The zany physical comedy is sure to boggle your mind & tickle your funnybone. www.whoisbankshelfrich.com
• 7/19/12 - Scott Humston - Scott Humston delivers a nationally-known action packed show full of magic and motivation. http://schoolshow.com
• 7/26/12 - Page Turner Adventures - In the Silly Mixed up Fairy Tale Riley & Kenney need your help to break a spell or Beauty will sleep for 100 years! With the help of the audience they set out on their adventure, in the process meeting Red Riding Hood, a talking wolf and a 10 foot TALL giant who isn’t too happy about giving up his golden spoon! www.PageTurnerAdventures.com
Florida Lake Symphony Prelude – Thursday, April 19 at 5:30pm at the Library. This program will give you a taste of the upcoming Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra performance - “Magical Journeys” - on Thursday, April 26 at St. Patrick Catholic Church. Light refreshments are provided.
Poetry Under the Oaks – Saturday, April 21 from 11:00am to 1:00pm. Come to listen or come to read. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy a poetic feast. Anyone can read – original poems, favorite poems, etc – help us celebrate National Poetry month.
Writers Café – 4th Wednesday of the month – for April 24 and May 22 at 7:00pm. Come to listen or come to read and meet local writers and lovers of all things literary.
Classic Film Series – 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month at 7:00pm. Free popcorn but donations gratefully taken. – April 11 and April 25 and May 9 & 23.
Donations – The Library is always willing to accept your donations of – books, paperback books, and audio books – either on tape or CDs, DVDs, Videos, magazines, puzzles, and records. We will even take your newspapers in our newspaper recycling bin in our parking lot. If you have questions, call the Library at (352) 735-7180 option 5 for the Circulation desk.
Don’t forget about Scrabble and Mah-Jongg clubs:
• Mah-Jonng meets every Monday night at 6:30pm at the Simpson Farmhouse (next door to the Library)
• Scrabble Club meets every Wednesday morning from 10:0am to Noon at the Simpson Farmhouse (next door to the Library)